George Zimmerman: Profiting from Pain
In sad and #enshambled news today, CNN reports that George Zimmerman (Trayvon Martin’s killer) will fight rapper DMX (who has a crack addiction). I sincerely hope that crackhead strength is enough to send folks into comas. The only questions I have about this are:
1. Why? Who thought this would be a good idea?
2. Why are we turning an accused murderer (who got off with murder because of a gamed/messed up system) into a celebrity? Since when do we do that? He’s making fame off of the killing of a defenseless black child and people are celebrating it.
3. Why do we always find new ways to lower the bar for entertainment?
4. Today is Trayvon Martin’s birthday and this news broke all over the Internet today. That’s so calloused and heartless. Why is a dead kid being used as fuel for some twisted game that uses George Zimmerman too all for the financial gain of Damon Feldman (@hollywoodbox11 on Twitter), a former boxer and celebrity boxing promoter?
5. Is this really how George Zimmerman wants to clear his name? Not by living right, but by becoming a “celebrity”? It’s bad enough that he threatened his estranged wife and father-in-law, and his new girlfriend. Now, he’s choosing to continue forging ahead with “bad boy” status with this boxing match on top of threatening people on Twitter then quoting Scriptures.
6. Isn’t it odd that Zimmerman testified that he wasn’t that skilled of a fighter to fight Trayvon Martin, but he’ll gladly get in a ring to box a black rapper to get celebrity status?
7. Why isn’t Mike Tyson in fighting shape? Why can’t it be Floyd Mayweather instead of DMX? Is this Zimmerman’s way of paying his dues because deep down he knows he trailed a kid and killed him unnecessarily out of fear?
Anyway, my heart goes out to Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton and Trayvon’s brother today. Trayvon would have been 19, which is a lot more mature than George Zimmerman’s life decisions. The lives of black boys and men mean so little in this country. It’s disgusting. Now someone trying to profit from it, which is worse. And Tracy and Sybrina have to see this.
If you want to stop the broadcast, tell your cable provider to not show it on Pay-Per-View. You can also sign this petition on Change.org.